Success through achievement is more than action – it is a mindset. Often, we think that success is based on physical execution of specific tasks. When in reality true success is having the ability to control our responses to the world around us. When we control our thoughts, emotions, and attitude our actions will take care of themselves.
Whatever has happened to us in the past cannot be changed, but more important: nothing ever really “happens” to us. There is the environment and then there are our responses to that environment. Our outcomes are determined by our ability to control our thoughts. Thoughts lead to actions.
“The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company… a church… a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past… we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you… we are in charge of our Attitudes.”
When it comes to success in work and life everyone talks about execution. In reality execution is only 10% of the equation. The action is important, yet before the action can build the results, the foundation needs to be made sure. Our attitude, the other 90% is the true determinant of success. Our attitude is what success is built upon.
While easier said then done, creating the proper mindset for success is the most important act anyone of us takes in order to truly fulfill our potential. In order to create the foundation for our minds, we need to do three things:
- Erase Excuses. There are many things out of our control, those things do not matter. Other people who detract from our potential need to be removed from our lives (or at least their influence). It is not the economy’s fault. It is not our boss’s fault. It is not because of lack of opportunity. Everyone has a different story and a different path to success.
- Embrace Change. In order to reach new levels of success you must reach higher, stand taller, do things today that you were not doing yesterday. Therefore change your habits of today and create new ones that coincide with your real potential.
- Enlighten through Education. Read, listen, and learn. Study those who have been successful. Read more. Read often. Read success stories, biographies, and inspirational stories. Read material that helps you become an expert in your field. Read material from other fields. Be curious. Thirst for knowledge. The mind and soul need to be refueled, often. In order to make sure the garden of the mind is well groomed, it has to be filled with proper thoughts and ideas.
Incredible levels of success are created when the mindset that creates the action takes responsibility for all outcomes, is willing to change and is humble enough to keep learning.
– Mareo McCracken